OBTAINING A MARRIAGE LICENSE
The marriage or civil union license must be obtained from the local Registrar’s Office in the State of New Jersey in the municipality in which either couple resides. In the case of East Brunswick, at least one person must be a resident of East Brunswick in order to secure a marriage license from the East Brunswick Registrar’s Office.
If both couples are out-of-state residents but intend to get married in New Jersey, the couple must obtain their marriage license where the ceremony is to be performed. In the case of East Brunswick, if you will be married in East Brunswick, perhaps at the Park Chateau, you must apply for a marriage license in East Brunswick.
WHERE TO APPLY:
Township of East Brunswick Municipal Clerk’s/Registrar’s Office
1 Civic Center Drive
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
PLEASE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
You must schedule an appointment to apply for a marriage license: 732-390-6850
MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION
To complete the marriage license application, please click the following link:
PERSONS REQUIRED TO BE PRESENT
- Both applicants (the couple); and
- One witness, 18 years of age or older, speaks and understands English
WHAT TO BRING AT THE TIME OF YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Proof of identification (driver’s license, passport, or state/federal ID)
- Proof of residency by one applicant residing in East Brunswick (if applicable)
Note: Your state ID may serve as proof of address if the address is correct
- One witness, 18 years of age or older, speaks and understands English and has a valid ID
- $28.00 application fee
OUT OF STATE RESIDENTS
Please note that if both applicants are out-of-state residents and will be getting married in East Brunswick, you are required to apply for a marriage license in East Brunswick.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION NEEDED WHEN APPLYING
- Social Security Number
- Name, address, and phone number of the person performing the ceremony
- Parents birth places (state or country)
- If divorced, please bring a copy of your divorce decree or annulment papers to your appointment.
The application fee is $28.00.
WHERE TO FILE YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE AFTER YOUR WEDDING CEREMONY
Your marriage license must be filed with the local registrar in the municipality where the ceremony took place.
Once you are married, you can obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the local registrar’s office in the municipality where you were married.