Firearms Application & Registration
COVID-19 Response Effects on Firearms Applications
The firearms application process is completely web-based. We will continue to accept new applications with the understanding that the process will be significantly delayed due to the COVID-19 response and recovery efforts.
It is important to note that initial applications will be indefinitely delayed due to mental health checks experiencing delays and the closure of the contracted fingerprint sites. This portion of the background process will continue as soon as non-essential businesses are allowed to reopen.
Our intent is to process as much as we can during this public health emergency. However, certain aspects of the process must be limited or suspended completely. Simply put, we currently do not have the capability to complete certain portions of the process. We will continue normal operation as soon as the COVID-19 emergency subsides.
The National Instant Criminal Background Check System is facilitated through the New Jersey State Police. Although currently suspended pursuant to executive order 107, there is no expiration for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards. Handgun Purchase permits can be valid for a total of 180 days.
If you have further questions, please call the NJ State Police Firearms Investigation Unit at 609-882-2000 Ext 2290
- Visit this website: www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
- Insert East Brunswick Police Department’s ORI# NJ0120400
- Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Required are two references from reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than the relatives.
- You MUST appear at the East Brunswick Police Department Records Bureau to pay the fees associated with your Initial Firearms ID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permits. Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.4.
Applicants requesting an Initial Firearms ID Card and Pistol Purchase Permit(s) should submit one application to avoid further delay in processing their application(s). Applications submitted by the same applicant will be processed in the order they are received.
FEES: Firearms ID Cards are $5.00 each, and Pistol Purchase Permits are $2.00 each. Check, or money order should be payable to “Township of East Brunswick” for the total amount due. Place the FARS confirmation number on your check (ex. FARS Conf #89000000). The $21.00 fee paid to the State of New Jersey does not include our local fees. These are two separate transactions.
The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the BEST phone numbers for yourself and references, as well as the BEST email addresses for yourself and references.
You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process. The NJSP FAQ’s can be located at www.njportal.com/NJSP/Fars/home/Faq. Please review these before contacting us for information.
- Once your application is completed and approved, a Records Bureau representative will contact you to pick up your Firearms ID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permit(s). Please have valid identification with you since Firearms ID Cards and/or Pistol Purchase Permit(s) may not be released to another person.
- If you have requested a Change of Address on your Firearms ID Card, you must bring in documentation displaying your new address as proof upon pick-up of your new Firearms ID Card. You may bring in an updated Driver’s License, government documentation, and/or current bills with your name and address. You MUST return your previous Firearms ID Card Card upon picking up your new card.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- If you have been previously fingerprinted for FIREARMS (applying for lost/stolen/damaged card, address change, additional pistol permits), you will be prompted to apply for the name check (SB 212A) during the process. DO NOT apply for the 212A first, or you will be charged twice.
- If you are applying for the first time or are applying for a gender change, you will need to be fingerprinted. You will be prompted to print the Ident2Go form to arrange for fingerprinting.
- Please keep copies of any documents you provide to the Police Department for your application. These documents are uploaded to the FARS system, and the local department will no longer maintain the physical copies. All uploads are automatically purged from the system after seven (7) years. (i.e., name change records, expungement orders, background information, etc.)
If, after 90 days, there is no activity with your application (failed to be fingerprinted, no reference(s) returned, supporting documentation/information not provided, etc.), we will withdraw your application from the FARS system.
You may also voluntarily withdraw your application at any time by calling or emailing us. Keep in mind that any fees previously collected are non-refundable. Once withdrawn, you will need to begin an entirely new FARS application should you wish to reapply at a later date.