- Public Safety
- Domestic Violence
- Support Services
Domestic Violence Response Team (DVRT)
The East Brunswick Police Department has a team of specially-trained volunteer advocates available to meet confidentially with victims of domestic violence at police headquarters 24-hours a day, 7-days a week.
The advocates of the East Brunswick Police Domestic Violence Response Team (DVRT) work in conjunction with the police to provide support, information, referrals, and a safety plan to victims at their time of crisis. The advocates, who are civilian members of the community, also advise the victim about their legal rights in regard to obtaining a Temporary Restraining Order.
The volunteers are specially trained to empower victims to make decisions about their own lives. Applicants must be:
- 18 years of age or older
- Possess a valid driver’s license and have access to transportation
- No criminal history, including no history as a domestic violence defendant
- Willing to submit to a background investigation and fingerprinting
- A good listener who can communicate well
- Sensitive and willing to help others in need
- Availability to serve on a call-out as needed basis
- Willing to attend initial 40-hour training course and periodic refresher training updates
The 40-hour intensive mandatory training course will be provided to successful applicants free of charge. Prior knowledge of domestic violence is not required. Bi-lingual capability is a plus, but not required.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please contact us at DomesticViolence@ebpd.net, or by calling 732-390-6916.
If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, you can stop by East Brunswick Police Headquarters at any time, and ask to speak to a domestic violence victim advocate. In an emergency, dial 9-1-1.
Domestic Violence Programs
NJ Division on Women
Department of Community Affairs
101 South Broad Street
PO Box 801
Phone: (609) 292-8840
Fax: (609) 633-6821
TTY: (609) 777-0799
Women Aware, Inc.
PO Box 312
New Brunswick, NJ 08903
Emergency Shelter 24-Hr. Hotline: (732) 249-4504
TTY: (732) 249-0600
Office: (732) 249-4900
Fax: (732) 249-0010
96 Paterson Street
New Brunswick, NJ, 08901
Phone: (732) 937-9525
Fax: (732) 249-6942
Manavi Inc. *
PO Box 3103
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-3103
* A non-profit organization for women who trace their cultural heritage to Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka